octal-dev

Re: big picture stuff (was re: widget)

From: Danny P.
Subject: Re: big picture stuff (was re: widget)
Date: Fri Feb 2 14:45:03 2001

It sounds like what we're looking for is some way for the machines > to
communicate groups of parameters. As in,

Params 0-3 are in group "foo"
Params 4-7 in group "bar"

Frikken good idea! Collapsable frames that host music-centered UI controls will kick ass.

I'm thinking of the machine repository being something like CTAN or > CPAN:
decentralized, ensuring that when you create a song with a released
machine, the source to create that machine again will always be available
somewhere on the web.
In the long term I see OCTAL becoming something rather like TeX. A free,
compact, well-understood, well-documented program and platform for doing
plugin-based music on computers. The host can grow, evolve, change,
improve, etc, while the file format and the machines will always remain
backward compatible at the source level. Meaning that, like TeX, your
work will be safe for a long time.

This has got to be done!!!

(I am already looking into details on Windows 2000 ports.)

You can't lose...

This is going to be good :)

I was wondering if other people had the same problem as me with buzz. I often find buzz's GUI controls and tracking-like editor for effects to be extremely restrictive. If there were areas in the app to provide scripting-like functionality (like a text editor to write a python script to control an effect depending on timing or other events), that would seriously rock!

I've been playing with python for a while and it is an extremely cool scripting language. It would be possible to access the OX_API and some timing/control functions to python by swigging the c code (which allows it to access the c library as if it were a native python module). You could then embed python into octal and be able to script triggers and other things like that.

Swig also supports perl, ruby and more. I'm extremely exhausted and cannot provide a lot more examples of the uses of this, but I'm sure others can.

Even if you guys do not agree, I will do it anyways :) Free software is funky ;)

Dan