octal-dev

Re: widget layouts and such ...

From: David O'Toole
Subject: Re: widget layouts and such ...
Date: Fri Feb 2 17:42:01 2001

On Fri, 2 Feb 2001, Bullwinkle J. Moose wrote:

> Would it not be possible to allow machines to pass a sort of 'user
>interface layout' file to Octal that would explain to Octal how the
>machine wanted the widgets layed out and possibly other stuff to embelesh
>the Machines UI, and Octal could do exactly what was in the lay out file,
>or ignore it completely or any thing inbetween depending on the
>situation?

We discussed a layout extension earlier this week. It would involve
passing some table coordinates to the host (not in a text file, but in the
same way parameters are specified.)

> In that way, the machines could differentiate them selves with thier User
>interface (so you would know if you were useing Bob's Flanger or Tonm's
>Flanger because of the UI.  Bob and Tom would probably like that.) and

In terms of layout, probably yeah. In terms of adding a skins engine and
overriding the GTK one that Octal already uses, I see that as unlikely.

--
@@@ david o'toole
@@@ address@hidden