Re: Octave 2.9.17 available for ftp

From: Thomas Treichl
Subject: Re: Octave 2.9.17 available for ftp
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 17:23:30 +0100

John W. Eaton schrieb:
Octave 2.9.17 is now available for ftp from ftp.octave.org in the
directory /pub/octave/bleeding-edge:
<SNIP>

Hallo John,

for the first time I a had the problem (Mac OS X Octave.app, only at
cross-compilation for PPC, normal compilation for IA is fine) that I got

  make libcruft.2.9.17.dylib
  rm -f libcruft.dylib
  g++ -arch ppc -O3 -ftree-vectorize -mpowerpc -faltivec -maltivec -mabi=altivec
  <SNIP>
  misc/f77-extern.o misc/f77-fcn.o misc/lo-error.o misc/quit.o misc/cquit.o
  -Wl,-framework -Wl,vecLib -lfftw3 -L/tmp/dependencies-ppc/lib -lf2c
  ld: Undefined symbols:
  _lsame_
  /usr/bin/libtool: internal link edit command failed
  make[3]: *** [libcruft.dylib] Error 1
  make[2]: *** [libraries] Error 2
  make[1]: *** [libcruft] Error 2
  make: *** [all] Error 2

when linking libcruft. I expect that the '-framework vecLib' of the 10.3.9 SDK
slightly gets 'out-of-date'. That's why I patched the sources of Octave 2.9.17
before doing the build process, ie. I copied lsame.f from the blas directory
into the blas-xtra directory and modified the Makefile.in of blas-xtra so that
lsame.f also was taken into account. The build procedure that way had no problem
anymore. The missing dependency that I can see is

  bash$ grep -re "lsame" *
    blas/Makefile:  dzasum.f dznrm2.f idamax.f izamax.f lsame.f sdot.f sgemm.f \
    blas/Makefile.in:  dzasum.f dznrm2.f idamax.f izamax.f lsame.f \
      sdot.f sgemm.f \
    Binary file lapack-xtra/xzlange.o matches
  bash$

So I expect that xzlange needs this lsame function?

Q: Is this the way that this dependency should be fixed locally or is there a
better way to include a fix/workaround in the sources of Octave directly?

Thanks,

  Thomas