Re: Color output for documentation eps images

From: Robert T. Short
Subject: Re: Color output for documentation eps images
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2009 15:41:25 -0800

Rik wrote:
Maybe we don't need to follow them slavishly?  The documentation from
Matlab is here:
http://www.mathworks.com/access/helpdesk/help/techdoc/ref/print.html.
There is a printopts.m file which is configurable to set the default
print engine so at least there is a way to get around specifying
'-color' for every single saved plot.

Also, for consistency we should probably generate black and white
postscripts when printing.  I just did a test and printed an image with
no arguments.  My printer wasn't plugged in so I could take a look at
the generated file in the printer spool.  It is a color file apparently
generated with '-dpsc2'

--Rik

I'd forgotten about Matlab's printopt.

Shall we add this to Octave?

I'd say yes.  But, I'd also vote for changing the default printer driver
to '-dpsc2' immediately.  As you wrote in an earlier e-mail, nothing bad
is going to happen if a color file gets generated.  It will be passed
seamlessly by color devices and squashed to monochrome by those who
can't handle color.  I've been bitten by printing a figure to a file
only to have to redo it because it came out in black and white.

--Rik

Not true. A color file will get squashed to gray scale by most publishers and many colors render very poorly when printed that way. I have been bitten by printing and having it come out color. If you print black and white and display it on a color device, you won't be wrong but if you print color and print on a black and white device (e.g. laser printer), you may not catch the error until the book comes out. Of course, these are all specious arguments since I can't imagine publishing without checking such things.

This is really a tempest in a teapot folks. No matter what you pick it will be right for some, wrong for others.

Do it the way MATLAB does it or don't change anything at all. Of course the person writing the code probably gets to do it his/her way!

Bob