Re: Default menus for fltk backend

From: Kai Habel
Subject: Re: Default menus for fltk backend
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 21:33:32 +0100

 On 14.12.2010 21:24, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
2010/12/14 Kai Habel<address@hidden>:
  Hello Jordi,

On 14.12.2010 05:04, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
Hi, Kai.

On 13 December 2010 13:28, Kai Habel<address@hidden>    wrote:
O.k. I have pushed this change now. Please give it a try and report any
issues you see.
I see that the default mode for 3d plots is now pan, which undoes an
old change of mine to make rotation the default. Was this intentional?
I don't see this. For me rotate still is the default mode.
Huh, how very strange. At my 11363:456752abad08 changeset, I see this
behaviour again. I pulled this morning, so perhaps it was a temporary
burp in a past changeset.

I also see you created a GUI mode option whose utility I don't see
immediately. Shouldn't it be the data's job to know if it's 2d or 3d,
not the user's?
No. I think the user should be in ultimate control. Automatisms are fine,
but if the user decides differently the software should respect that.
I don't understand why you would want a manual mode at all. Does
anyone really want to rotate 2d plots 3-dimensionally? I suppose it's
no harm to make the functionality available...

- Jordi G. H.
Because, then the plot looks like the 'other' 3d-plot for instance. What about the other case of panning 3d-plots. It is simply annoying you want the 'pan/zoom' mode but your computer switches automatically to rotate every time you change the plot. I would say as soon as the user changes the mode manually the computer should not switch the mode back.

Kai