Re: Successfully merged projects

From: John Swensen
Subject: Re: Successfully merged projects
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2011 07:11:19 -0400

On Apr 11, 2011, at 6:34 AM, Michael Goffioul wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 11:16 AM, John Swensen <address@hidden> wrote:
>> I think having quit_allowed exposed in toplev.h as an extern is a new thing.
>>  I'm pretty sure it used to be a variable only available in toplev.cc.
>
> You're probably right. But developing the GUI with current dev code
> would make sense imo.

Absolutely.  I just hadn't realized that was available now.  I think that until
we have a patch submitted for IDEs to play "better" with Octave, then we can
use the embedded flag and set quit_allowed to true (no need to extern it since
it is already done in an OS independent way in the header).

>> The reason we need to have it run in embedded mode is to prevent
>> clean_up_and_exit() from being called when the main_loop finishes.
>> For various reasons, mostly associated with interacting with Octave through
>> the (now called) OctaveLink class, the UI should control when
>> Octave is cleaned up.  That is why I said that it would be preferable to
>> have the third parameter to octave_main be an enum indicating the
>> mode of operation and act accordingly, rather than just embedded or not
>> embedded.
>
> There's also the possibility to overload octave_quit() callback to
> avoid a hard exit() call.
> But then you have other problems. See my other mail about
> clean_up_and_exit being
> called twice. Some work needs to be done in octave to allow a clean GUI exit.

In octavede, I was not only doing this embedded flag hack, but I also
overloaded octave_quit to make things happen like they should.  I agree that a
patch to Octave to make it IDE friendly is in order.