Re: Testing MinGW Octave-3.4.2 binaries

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Testing MinGW Octave-3.4.2 binaries
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2011 18:26:58 -0400

On 7 July 2011 17:13, Philip Nienhuis <address@hidden> wrote:

> 1. "clear all" leads to a complete crash.

Under all circumstances?

> 2.  A Matlab script, made by a colleague, that I'm porting to Octave
> creates 34 pictures. On some PC's, using fltk, doing "close all"
> leads to a similar crash as 1. (above)

This is a long standing race condition with fltk, and I think it's the
biggest thing we have to fix before we switch the default plotting
engine from gnuplot to fltk. Known problem, also happens outside of
Windows.

> While the script may be wrong (though it works OK with gnuplot),
> Octave shouldn't crash that hard.

No, it shouldn't. A stupid workaround is to insert pauses after each
fltk plotting command so as to probably avoid the race condition.

> 3. With that script, again on some PCs only, using fltk, titles
> appear only on the first plot. Using gnuplot all plots get the
> proper titles.
>
> 4. Again, on some PCs only, text output in fltk pics is gibberish.
> May be due to lacking fonts - I haven't had time to investigate.
> Gnuplot plots are fine.

These two may be again more UB symptoms of the same race condition.
Does the stupid workaround described above also work on these?

> Issue 1. is already known (though I couldn't spot the bug entry).
>
> I'm a bit reluctant about entering bug tracker entries for issues
> 2-4 as not all of these are fully repeatable on all PCs I tested on.

I thought we had a report for the fltk race condition, but can't find
it. I think all we ever did was discuss it extensively in the mailing
list. If you can't find a report for it in the bug tracker, and if 3
and 4 are indeed also symptoms, it may be worthwhile reporting it.

- Jordi G. H.