Re: blog update #2

From: c.
Subject: Re: blog update #2
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 23:56:53 +0200

On 17 Jun 2013, at 23:29, c. <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi Marco,
>
> On 17 Jun 2013, at 23:05, Marco Vassallo <address@hidden> wrote
>
>> Hi, I'm trying to add the data stored in the dolfin xml file to the (p,e,t)
>> matrix.
>> I have some questions about how the code should be designed:
>> 1)
>> Create p,e,t
>> if( additional information available)
>>  add extra information
>> In this case I have to store an extra map which stores the information
>> number_of_dolfin_face_idx -> number_of_octave_face_idx
>

> I'd use a minimalistic approach at this point:
>
> 1) look for subdomain info in the dolfin mesh and fill the last raw of "t"
> 2) lok for boundary subregion info and fill the "e" structure according to
> the msh format
>
> at a later point you could also try and fill the extra topological and
> geometric property fields
> supported by msh and described in the docs for the functions
> "msh2m_topological_properties" and
> msh2m_geometrical_properties, but that is not a priority at the moment.
>
> The map you have in mind, in particular, sounds like the "boundary" field
> computed by "msh2m_topological_properties",
> is that the case?
>
>> 2)
>> If additional information is stored
>>   ( create p,e,t, in some way)
>> else
>>   (create p,e,t, in another way)
>>
>> Is there any recommended way for optimization/clarity?
>
> well, if no info about bulk/boundary subdomains is present you could use some
> default choice,
> e.g., set the boundary mark to 1 an all boundary facets and the subdomain
> marker to 1 on all elements.
>
>> Marco
>
> HTH,
> c.

Marco,

BTW I followed this thread on the FENICS mailing list [1].

I disagree with the idea that the only possible approach is that of
creating a library of pre-built variational forms (thaough such a library,
for common problems would be very useful in my opinion).
I think the problem here is that everyone in that thread assumes we should be
mimicking the python interface, but I think it would be much simpler to try to
replicate the C++ interface by creating a script to build .oct shared objects
files from .ufl
files.

HTH,
c.