[GSoC] Octave Windows installer test

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: [GSoC] Octave Windows installer test
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2013 21:06:01 -0400

Hi Anirudha,

I've recompiled everything using your repo (for people interested, it's available here [1]) using cross-compilation. To test the procedure, I simply typed "./mk-dist --jobs 2 --installer" using a fresh clone. Except the following 2 problem, unrelated to your work, the compilation went smoothly and the installer got generated:
1) I needed to install SCons
2) I needed to patch native-gcc.mk due to my recent change [2], I'll push the change soon

Here are a few remarks regarding the current result:
1) octave wasn't compiled with JIT, although I specified --enable-jit; it seems it can't detect llvm properly [3]
2) on the installer license page, one should avoid the button "I agree" and related terminology; Jordi can explain why much better than me; I think I did that in my installer so you can have a look there
3) the default installation direction under WinXP is "C:\Program Files\Octave", the presence of the white space can lead to various problems at runtime and this should be avoided; I would also append the version number, so it's possible to install several octave versions side-by-side without having to change the default install dir

Michael.

[1] http://inversethought.com/hg/mxe-octave-anirudha/ (thanks to Jordi for hosting it)
[2] http://inversethought.com/hg/mxe-octave-anirudha/rev/5ee3638d5411
[3] extract from octave configure script run
===
checking for llvm-config... llvm-config
checking whether i686-pc-mingw32-gcc accepts -isystem .... yes
configure: using -isystem for LLVM headers
checking llvm/Support/TargetSelect.h usability... no
checking llvm/Support/TargetSelect.h presence... no
checking for llvm/Support/TargetSelect.h... no
configure: WARNING: LLVM was not found or is to old.  JIT compiler is disabled.
===