Re: Octave Forge website / third sentence on the "Home" page

From: PhilipNienhuis
Subject: Re: Octave Forge website / third sentence on the "Home" page
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2014 08:03:22 -0700 (PDT)

Julien Bect wrote
> Hello all,
>
> Just a tiny suggestion concerning the Octave Forge website... I would
> remove the third sentence on the "Home" page :
>
> "In general the packages are designed to work with the latest
> development version of Octave, but it should be possible to use most
> packages with earlier versions."
>
> Indeed,
>
> 1) the first part is a little scary. It suggests (to me) that some
> packages might actually depend on features provided by unreleased
> versions of Octave... Is it really something that the Octave Forge
> maintainers would consider doing ? Not all users want to use development
> versions.

The windows package cannot even be installed in Octave-4.1.0+ as octave-map
stuff has been removed (IIRC that is what the error messages suggest).
I need to install it in 3.9.0+ and then the installed windows package works
OK in 4.1.0+ as well. So in a way what's currently on the OF site is
somewhat true, but....

It would be better to say that OF packages are supposed to work with the
latest *stable* version of Octave.

Philip