Re: A word about C++11 (my humble opinion)

From: LachlanA
Subject: Re: A word about C++11 (my humble opinion)
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2016 17:15:25 -0700 (PDT)

Rik-4 wrote
> I do think Tatsuro's suggestion to build a more modern gcc is good if you
> absolutely must continue on 12.04.

I agree with Julien that we should be mindful of old computers.

When my computer was in for repairs, I recently had to use a 2005 laptop,
with 512M of memory.  To keep everything manageable, I installed an old
version of Ubuntu (12.04? 10.04?) so the GUI wasn't too bloated, and
compiled more modern versions the tools I needed.  I didn't install the
latest, because I assumed that they too would be heavier than their
predecessors.

IIRC, the most thrashing occurred compiling the monolithic graphics.cc; it
would have been easier if it had been broken into smaller files.

Also, although development code *compiles* fine with gcc 4.8, it currently
fails five self-check tests.

$0.02,
Lachlan