Re: Possible inclusion in commercial support list

From: mbro009
Subject: Re: Possible inclusion in commercial support list
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2017 12:18:40 -0800 (PST)

Hi All

I think the consensus is that my previous proposal is not accepted. I would
like to withdraw my previous proposal and put forward the following one. I
am very grateful for your time so far.

1. We will provide a mirror for GNU Octave. We will not have a separate
version.
2. We will provide support contracts for GNU Octave, designed and provided
under terms set by us.
3. A proportion of the revenue obtained directly from the support contracts
for GNU Octave will be donated to GNU Octave for development of new features
and general work. The proportion will be determined by us given current and
forecast profitability. The features and work that is completed using these
funds is to be selected by us (but still requiring approval by GNU Octave
maintainers) in the interest of commercial customers;  developers are
selected by GNU Octave provided there is equal opportunity and equity in
selection, and GNU Octave is transparent about equal opportunity statistics.
Developers selected must be job-seekers and complete the work under contract
to GNU Octave as the contracting party and mentored by GNU Octave
maintainers, i.e. they cannot currently be employed in a public or private
institution.
4. The GNU Octave group is completely transparent in the spending of all
funds provided to it by commercial sponsors.
5. A non-exclusive relationship. i.e. we are completely free to sell and
develop and make available other solutions, services and products.
6. GNU Octave will consider rewording some sentences on this page:
https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/support-expectations.html. Note, we will
be approaching things from a commercial perspective of trying to make
customers happy. For example, “Unfortunately, there are a few people who
behave as though the community owes them support as well as a 100% Matlab
compatible system, all at zero cost. It shouldn’t really be necessary, but
we’ll say it anyway: working with these people is no fun. If you approach
the Octave community this way, you are sure to be disappointed. You should
also not be surprised when your requests for help are ignored.”

I am happy for any continuing discussion to be completely transparent on
this list.

Thank you
Matthew