Re: building on macOS?

From: Pantxo
Subject: Re: building on macOS?
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2018 01:41:15 -0600 (CST)

bpabbott wrote
>> On Nov 5, 2018, at 7:18 AM, Ben Abbott <

> bpabbott@

> > wrote:
>>
>>> On Nov 5, 2018, at 3:53 AM, Carlo De Falco <

> carlo.defalco@

> bpabbott@

>>> Ben,
>>>
>>> I am still on HighSierra and I get something similar to you.
>>>
>>> If I run make I get a failure :
>>>
>>> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>> /bin/sh run-octave --norc --silent --no-history --path
>>> /Users/carlo/Documents/_Programmi/Miei/C/octave/build-default/../octave/doc/interpreter/
>>> --eval "geometryimages ('doc/interpreter/', 'delaunay', 'txt');"
>>> fatal: caught signal Segmentation fault: 11 -- stopping myself...
>>> make[2]: *** [doc/interpreter/delaunay.txt] Segmentation fault: 11
>>> make[2]: *** Deleting file `doc/interpreter/delaunay.txt'
>>> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
>>> make: *** [all] Error 2
>>> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>
>>> If I try to run the same command as shown in the make output manually
>>> the command works :
>>>
>>> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>> $ ./run-octave --no-gui
>>> GNU Octave, version 5.0.0
>>> Copyright (C) 2018 John W. Eaton and others.
>>> This is free software; see the source code for copying conditions.
>>> There is ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or
>>> FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  For details, type 'warranty'.
>>>
>>> Octave was configured for "x86_64-apple-darwin17.7.0".
>>>
>>> Additional information about Octave is available at
>>> https://www.octave.org.
>>>
>>> Please contribute if you find this software useful.
>>> For more information, visit https://www.octave.org/get-involved.html
>>>
>>> Read https://www.octave.org/bugs.html to learn how to submit bug
>>> reports.
>>> For information about changes from previous versions, type 'news'.

>>> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>
>>> but then I get a segmentation fault when quitting Octave :
>>>
>>> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>> fatal: caught signal Segmentation fault: 11 -- stopping myself...
>>> Segmentation fault: 11
>>> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>
>>> HTH,
>>> c.
>>
>> Thanks Carlo.
>>
>> I recall that I often had to “make” several times to complete the docs.
>> Perhaps something changed recently to cause the segfault, or something
>> changed to cause the image output to be deleted.
>>
>> Looks like the deletion is part of the build process. Buried in make
>> process I assume. Is this something we control?
>>
>> Ben
>
> This problem does not occur for Octave 4.4.1
>
> Ben

Hi,

There has been many changes recently including refactoring of the way
graphics toolkits are loaded, and also the way raster outputs are printed.
As a first step, could you revert to e80a87f65997 (see
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?54953) and see if fixes the issue for you?

Pantxo