Re: Help in JSON encode/decode project

From: Andrew Janke
Subject: Re: Help in JSON encode/decode project
Date: Sun, 8 Mar 2020 16:04:05 -0400

On 3/8/20 3:53 PM, Abdallah Elshamy wrote:

>     > If you want to make a project out of it, spend some time with it
>     and see
>     > where you think you can help improve it.
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>

> I followed your advice and started spending some time with it. Also the
> issues list [1] of the package provided some useful info. What I think I
> can help in improving are:
>
>   *
>
>     Using RapidJson instead of jsoncpp to enhance performance.
>
>   *
>
>     modifying jsondecode to be compatible with RapidJson.
>
>   *
>
>     Writing jsonencode in c++ to improve performance.
>
>   *
>
>     Verifying the “condensation” algorithm by writing more tests then
>     moving it to c++.
>
>   *
>
>     Some modifications is needed in the documentation (for example the
>     documentation of jsondecode function is just a repetition of the
>     documentation of jsonencode.)
>
>   *
>
>     preparing the two functions to be integrated to the core of octave
>     rather than a package.
>

> I was thinking that writing tests [2] will help me more in understanding
> the project and the package. Do you think it’s a good idea to do so (in
> parallel with my preparation of the proposal with you and the
> maintainers of octave)?
>

> Thanks for your time.
>
> Abdallah
>

> [1] https://github.com/apjanke/octave-jsonstuff/issues
>
> [2] https://github.com/apjanke/octave-jsonstuff/issues/13

For what it's worth, I think writing more unit tests so we can get to a
comprehensive test suite is the top priority for jsondecode. That will
make everything else listed here easier and safer.

This list sounds right to me, except I'm not sure about switching to
RapidJson. Do you know of any benchmarks comparing the performance of
jsondecode and RapidJson? Or would we need to do that testing ourselves?

Oops. Sorry about the bad doco on jsondecode. That definitely needs
fixed. https://github.com/apjanke/octave-jsonstuff/issues/17

Cheers,
Andrew