Re: [Openexr-devel] Re: [Openexr] KeyKode offsets

From: Daniel A. Fort
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] Re: [Openexr] KeyKode offsets
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 12:04:47 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Florian,

>     A) DPX-style film edge codes, as listed in section 6.1 of SMPTE
>     268M,
>        "File Format for Digital Moving-Picture Exchange":

SMPTE 268M? Just ordered it ($30) so I can try to understand this one. I
would think that this would be the best choice for OpenEXR.
>     B) "Film feet edge numbers" as specified by SMPTE RP 195, "Use of
>     the
>        Reference Mark in Manufacturer-Printed Latent Image Key Numbers
>        for Unambiguous Film Frame Identification".  This numbering
>        scheme covers 35mm and 65mm film with key numbers occuring every
>        64, 80 and 120 perforations, and with 3, 4, 8 and 15-perforation
>        frames. (If you are voting for this one, please explain to me
>        how the scheme works.  After reading RP 195, I still don't
>        understand it.)

This is the way I was taught to identify film frames. After reading the
document I would say that this is what all negative cutters, film
assistants, telecine operators, etc. understand.
These resources will help illustrate what SMPTE RP