pan-devel

[Pan-devel] Re: Re: Couple of feature requests

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-devel] Re: Re: Couple of feature requests
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 09:06:17 +0000 (UTC)

Pekka Tiittanen <address@hidden>
posted address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Sun, 25 Jun
2006 21:52:07 +0300:

> On Thu, 2006-06-22 at 15:59 +0000, Duncan wrote:
>
>> That said, with .100, you can set server priority levels.  The server
>> prefs only have primary/secondary, but by editing the config file you can
>> add as many levels as desired (I think, that's what was discussed,
>> anyway).  It won't try any of the secondary servers for a post unless none
>> of the primaries have it.  Similarly with additional priority levels if
>> you set them up -- it won't go on to the next unless everything at a
>> specified level doesn't have the post.
>
> How does this exactly solve the problem that I want to download all
> binaries from my leafnode and not from my ISP:s server? I have one group
> on my leafnode and I occasionally, about once a month, want to download
> all the binaries it has collected. When I do this I want to download
> them only from my leafnode, not from my ISP. And no, I don't see
> removing/disabling one server once a month very convenient.
>
> Can I edit prefs to make a server primary/secondary/whatever for one
> group or group of groups? :P So that group a is handled from server 1,
> group b from server 2?

There's currently no per-group state of any sort (other than the actual
messages) saved -- all the settings are global, so no, you can't
(currently) edit prefs to do /anything/ for one group.

However, if you only have one group on leafnode, you can make it whatever
priority you want, because it's the only one on the server.  If you have
more than one and you want them at different priorities, that's a bit more
difficult.

There would be two ways to work around the pan limitations at
this point.  One is as I mentioned, temporarily pointing one server to a
non-existent IP to disable it.  You could then set your ISP server as
secondary, and setup two servers in pan pointed at leafnode, one set to
primary the other to tertiary, with one or the other disabled (set to
0.0.0.0 or whatever) depending on the tasks at hand and whether you wanted
it before or after the ISP server.

The second would be to setup two leafnode servers (assuming that can be
done, it should be possible, even if one has to live in a chroot as would
be the case if its config or local-cache path was hard-coded), one with
/just/ the group(s) you'd want primary, the other with the ones you
normally want ranged third).

--
/h/x/config/sigs/lists.freedomware.txt