pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: VDQ : What to save?

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: VDQ : What to save?
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 10:50:57 -0700

Beartooth posted <address@hidden>, excerpted
below,  on Fri, 21 Nov 2003 11:28:55 -0500:

> On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 09:39:47 -0700, Duncan wrote:
>
>> Try K3B..  (snip).  Don't know how RH handles it.
>
> I know this is OT, but I tried looking and didn't find it; can someone
> point me to getting k3b for RH9?

OK..  I run Mandrake, which is supposed to be RH compatible, but not RH
itself.  However, RPMFind is where I usually start.  http://rpmfind.net ,
or if you are in the US, try the speakeasy mirror @
http://rpmfind.speakeasy.net .

For this specific application..

http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=k3b
http://rpmfind.speakeasy.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=k3b

Note that the rpms might not have exactly the same dependencies.  What is
called libk3b in one distrib might be k3blib in the other, or similar, but
if you are reasonably familiar with your system layout (/etc, /usr/bin,
etc) you should be able to figure out whether you have the binaries on
your system whether rpm says they are installed or not, by looking at the
html page linked on the left of each listing, and force the install if
necessary.

Or.. do as I used to do b4 I discovered urpmi on Mandrake and
if it wont install and dependencies start looking to bad, simply force the
install and try it. You can always erase it if it doesn't work.

It is of course a KDE package so you will need the QT and KDE library core
packages, plus the various CD backend/command line utilities it mentions,
tho not all of them are needed.  (You don't need the video editing stuff
if you aren't planning to do VCDs or DVDs, etc.)

Or.. if you're on RH.. you should be getting familiar with Fedora
by now.. I'd suggest checking their site.

K3b is probably one of the simplest all-in-one apps, but for something
less fancy that generally works, on Gnome/GTK instead of KDE, try
GCombust (or was it GnomeCombust?), and there are others out there,
including a Nautilus CDBurning utility (don't know the package nor have I
used it but I see it listed on the menu, must be the default installed by
Mandrake in 9.2..).  Or go check Freshmeat or SourceForge, or try
searching http://google.com/linux for "CD burners" X rpm, then the same
searches but replacing X with gnome or KDE.  There's lots of options out
there, but k3b is one of the simplest yet most powerful, at least if KDE
is already installed.

Benjamin Franklin