pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: <searching|reading> saved articles?

From: Petr Kovar
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: <searching|reading> saved articles?
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2010 00:08:55 +0100

Hi!

Duncan <address@hidden>, Sat, 19 Dec 2009
20:47:28 +0000 (UTC):

(...)

> So (1) the biggest reason for local folders has disappeared, expiry is
> entirely under user control, and (2), we avoid various bugs by leaving
> the posts directly in the newsgroups they download to, instead of trying
> to do the local folders thing.  Together, that means there's both little
> need for the feature, and a discouragement for reimplimentation as it
> was, so it's little surprise that it has remained somewhere down below
> actual implementation priority, when people DO have the time to code up
> and test new features.  It's not deaf ears, it's a question of
> prioritizing all too rare real new-feature development time, on stuff
> that will really make a difference, without reintroducing the bugs of the
> previous version.

Sorry for digging out the old thread, but I think it should be stated that
local folders are in the standard feature set of majority of modern
(offline) newsreaders, and for a reason. Even when the Pan's expiry
implementation issue is non-existent, many people like to make use of local
folders for e.g. (automatically) storing outgoing or sent messages, drafts,
or just to archive a certain subset of messages in a hierarchical folder
tree. And last, but not least, it's important to have a convenient way to
access these messages from within a client, just as users are accustomed
to when using mail clients.

That said, having to remember to manually save articles just before posting,
and then searching for each of them somewhere in the file system doesn't
seem to be a convenient way of dealing with messages.

Just my 5 hellers.

Cheers,
Petr Kovar