pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: <searching|reading> saved articles?

From: Steven D'Aprano
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: <searching|reading> saved articles?
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 09:34:21 +1100

On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 10:08:55 am Petr Kovar wrote:

> Sorry for digging out the old thread, but I think it should be stated
> that local folders are in the standard feature set of majority of
> modern (offline) newsreaders, and for a reason. Even when the Pan's
> expiry implementation issue is non-existent, many people like to make
> use of local folders for e.g. (automatically) storing outgoing or
> sent messages, drafts, or just to archive a certain subset of
> messages in a hierarchical folder tree. And last, but not least, it's
> important to have a convenient way to access these messages from
> within a client, just as users are accustomed to when using mail
> clients.
>
> That said, having to remember to manually save articles just before
> posting, and then searching for each of them somewhere in the file
> system doesn't seem to be a convenient way of dealing with messages.

For what it's worth, I agree with Petr. The removal of the
automatically-save-sent-emails functionality was very nearly a deal
breaker for me: I've lost a year or two worth of posts, never able to
retrieve them, because of that. By the time I learned that Pan was no
longer saving my sent posts, they had expired from the news-servers I
have access too.

I note that the Pan home page still falsely claims that:

"Pan saves your posted messages in a folder for future reference."

This is incorrect. It does no such thing. You have to manually save
posted messages as a DRAFT, before sending, otherwise Pan does not save
it. Not to put too fine a point on it, it's ridiculous that a news/mail
client (Pan sends email too) doesn't automatically save sent posts.

--
Steven D'Aprano