pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: ANN: Pan 0.134 "Wait for Me"

From: Alan Meyer
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: ANN: Pan 0.134 "Wait for Me"
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 11:50:39 -0800 (PST)

Steven D'Aprano <address@hidden> wrote:

> Duncan wrote:
> > Alan Meyer posted on Mon, 21 Feb 2011 10:45:55 -0800 as
> > excerpted:
> [...]
> >> Since I'm paid for the work that I do I have no grounds for
> >> complaint. If they want to pay me to do work that they take
> >> credit for, I understand that.  I'm content to take the
> >> money and do the work.  But I sure do appreciate the need to
> >> credit open source developers.
>
> > It occurs to me that especially as a consultant, you could
> > write up your contract to specify that you /do/ get credit,
> > perhaps charging extra to waive that requirement...
>
> Perhaps a better (or at least more fun) approach would be to
> charge one rate for support and bug fixes for your own work,
> and double for fixing other people's bugs. Then when the client
> comes to you with a bug fix, you can say "Well, according to
> the copyright notice, you wrote this, so I'm going to have to
> charge you double" :)
>

> -- Steven

It's fun to dream about things like this.

In reality, of course, I'm usually content if the client hands me
a contract I can sign without gagging.  There was only one case
where I just couldn't bring myself to do it and one other where I
convinced the client to change it.

As for me writing the contract and handing it to him, I'm a
hardworking but pretty obscure consultant, not a celebrity
programmer like Guido van Rossum or Linus Torvalds.  I don't
think I could bear to watch the client's lawyers spilling their
martinis, rolling on the floor, laughing, and pointing at me.

    Alan