pan-users

[Pan-users] [OT] Compiling question for KHaley and Heinrich (and everybo

From: walt
Subject: [Pan-users] [OT] Compiling question for KHaley and Heinrich (and everybody)
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2011 15:37:07 -0700

I just pulled from both git repositories and compiled as usual
in each repository.  My build completed in KHaley's repo but
stopped prematurely in Heinrich's repo.

Let me explain:

Maybe I'm a bit different from most (just ask my wife) but I
*hate* compiling sources in the source directory itself, i.e.
compiling "in-tree".

Instead, I always mkdir obj; cd obj; ../configure --prefix=$HOME
so I install in my home directory and I don't leave compiler
droppings on the clean white carpet ;)

The reason my usual method failed in Heinrich's repo is that
his pan/icons/* didn't get copied into my obj/pan/icons/ and,
no surprise, my compile failed.

So, my question is how to make sure that a project will compile
"out-of-tree" (in an obj or build directory)?

I've noticed the same problem e.g. in the qemu versus qemu-kvm
projects, who develop similar code in parallel, but one project
will compile using my obj directory method while the other fails
to compile.

Any hints from you professionals for us wannabe programmers?

Thanks!

BTW Heinrich, your recent patch did indeed fix the segfault I
was getting on one machine.  More thanks :)