pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Someone hasn't upgraded in a while... (was Re: Ubuntu 11

From: Ron Johnson
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Someone hasn't upgraded in a while... (was Re: Ubuntu 11.10 version ...)
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2011 11:47:54 -0500

On 10/22/2011 02:40 AM, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
Ron Johnson wrote:
On 10/22/2011 01:52 AM, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
Ron Johnson wrote:
On 10/21/2011 08:07 PM, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
Ron Johnson wrote:

That's *ancient*.

If it's not broken, don't break it by updating.

That's only valid if subsequent versions are broken.

If my existing version isn't broken, why would I want to take the chance
of breaking it?

Take the *chance*?????? It's a desktop PC, not a 5 9s server
controlling some vital bit of the nation's infrastructure.

Exactly. It's *my* desktop PC, and therefore much, much more important
to *me* than some hypothetical national infrastructure that I may or may
not care about. (What do I care if the tax office's database is down 4
days out of 5?)

Anyway, my original comment was simply, "That's *ancient*." Nothing
more, nothing less. smtp, pop3 and mbox haven't changed in a *long*
time, so there's no *need* to upgrade as long as your boot disk keeps
functioning.

Exactly. So I fail to understand your surprise that I haven't upgraded,
or the tone of reproach ("That's only valid if...") in your text.

I was startled because running a 4yo version of currently maintained s/w (as opposed to unmaintained, 8yo s/w like nethack) is unusual, since so many people stay on the distro upgrade mill.

Also, your reasoning *is* more than a little odd. The typical reason given is not fear but something like, "I don't like throwing out old h/w and Tbird v2 doesn't work well on this old machine."

I wish a lot more tools would be rock solid stable, and a lot less
change for the sake of change. (KDE, I'm talkin' to *you*.)

We are actually in a bit of the same boat: I think it's utterly and completely *stupid* for Ubuntu and GNOME to abandon desktop users with big monitors for the tiny-screen tablet metaphor.

Thus, I'm sticking with GNOME 2.32 on Ubuntu 10.10 and using PPAs (and the occasional build from source) to keep stuff like video drivers and my favorite user apps current.

Eventually, though, as apps are rewritten to use GTK3, I'll be left behind.

--
Supporting World Peace Through Nuclear Pacification