pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Port 119 blocked - no newsgroup access!

From: Joe Zeff
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Port 119 blocked - no newsgroup access!
Date: Sat, 23 May 2015 14:19:29 -0700

On 05/23/2015 01:47 PM, walt wrote:
I've never actually tried this method, (never needed to) but I think you
could use a tool like ssh in "port forwarding" mode, depending on the news
server, maybe.

I was thinking that if you can read news on your home machine, and you have a reliable way to get the box's IP (e.g., you have your own domain and have set dynamic DNS up for it.) you might be able to run squid and use it for the port forwarding. That way, you can configure Pan to run on some innocuous port, connect to the squid proxy and let it talk to the news server.

However, unless you're very sure that your employer is OK with this, or you don't mind getting fired for circumventing company policy, I'd suggest that you just accept that you can't read Usenet at work.