pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Edit SSL certificates missing

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Edit SSL certificates missing
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2016 05:16:58 +0000 (UTC)

Dave posted on Tue, 13 Sep 2016 16:52:26 +0000 as excerpted:

> FWIW I'm running 0.14 too and can confirm full SSL support works fine,
> including the presence of the Edit-->Edit SSL Certificatss menu choice.

Just so you know...

0.14.x was the last of the old C-based pan series and must be about a
decade old now.  The C++ rewrite was introduced as 0.90, and there have
been about 50 releases since then, bringing it to 0.140 (I believe 0.141
is actually the git version ATM, no actual 0.141 release yet, but I run
the git version so it's easy to lose track).

Unfortunately, I believe some Debian-based distros and perhaps Debian
itself, add another decimal in there and call 0.140 0.14.0, with 0.141
presumably being 0.14.1.  However, all that does is cause confusion,
because as I said, 0.14 is the about a decade old now old C-based pan,
which worked quite a bit differently in some areas.

And I know for sure that 0.14 was *WELL* before builtin ssl support was
added -- back then, and with the C++ rewrite until Heinrich added SSL
support (and a bunch of other stuff) sometime around 0.133 I believe, if
people needed SSL support the recommendation was to run an ssl-based
tunneling utility (the name of which IDR ATM), and have pan connect to
and use the tunnel's secure connection services.

So unless you have some sort of ssl tunneling setup, you cannot
_possibly_ be correct with ssl working fine in your 0.14 claim, as pan
didn't support (built-in) secure connections _at_ _all_ some 10 years ago
or whatever with the 0.14.x version.