pan-users

[Pan-users] can you run Pan 2 on anything but GNOME/Linux? (and how to d

From: David Chmelik
Subject: [Pan-users] can you run Pan 2 on anything but GNOME/Linux? (and how to donate?)
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2020 23:30:54 -0700

I've used Pan since '00s: best NNTP newsreader ever.  However last year it started crashing for me in KDE5, so I tried TWM, XFCE, MATE... can't run Pan 2 in anything.  I can't run it in regular GNOME (rather than maybe MATE or compiling Cinnamon) because I use command-line, not an X display manager (GNOME requires gdm) and I heard GNOME forces you to use only one session (and I'm not going to exit a KDE or TWM session just for GNOME just for Pan.)     The developers also didn't do the serious thing to list dependencies for real Unix (not just GNU/Linux) such as FreeBSD, etc.  FreeBSD does have a package, but as it crashes all different ways in various window managers (WM)/desktop environments (DE) and when compiling.     If one uses other POSIX-based OSes & X WM/DE, is there any way you can even run Pan anymore?     A few years ago, I tried to donate $5, but it returned to me.  I tried again recently... hoping that goes through and that the current developers will take it seriously that there needs to be some effort porting/detailing for other common usage...      NNTP/Usenet is my preferred way to get help (secondly IRC and web-forums) so I really hope I can use Pan again... no other NNTP newsreader comes anything close in quality/safety.