pandora-users

Re: [Pandora] about MMAP_PACKET and drops

From: Simon Patarin
Subject: Re: [Pandora] about MMAP_PACKET and drops
Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2003 16:08:30 +0100 (MET)

Hi (and happy new year!),

> I modified your lib to get 40MB of buffer (ct= ct*10), this is for making
> sure I have enogh space to buffer 1 second at interface data rate

What is the MTU of your network adaptator? Actually the buffer space you
allocate is splitted in frames just bigger than your MTU (hence my first
question). For example, if you have a 1500 bytes MTU, frame size will be
2K so you'll have a buffer of 20000 slots. If your card sees more than
this number of _packets_ before being flushed, the kernel will start
dropping frames. If your actual packets are small (compared to the MTU)
this can happen rather quickly.

I think that the reason why you observe such losses is to find in this
direction.

Simon