[Top][All Lists]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Successful flights with total energy control loops

From: Christophe De Wagter
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Successful flights with total energy control loops !
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2012 11:14:45 +0200

MentorEnergy airframe. The conf shows all setting xmls too.

On Sep 25, 2012 10:42 AM, "Tilman Baumann" <address@hidden> wrote:
I would not mind testing that, now that my airspeed is working. (Ok, theoretically working. I never flew it yet.)

Anything I should look out for? Mitchell or Christophe, can you perhaps share a airframe file for 'inspiration' (cargo cult configuration)


On 19/09/12 20:01, Mitchell SLOWER wrote:
Dear all,

Regarding the recent problems I had with the the standard control loops, and from Gautier and Christophe's advices, I tried today the total energy control loops.
I pulled from tudelftv4.0; it was straightforward: I had a really successful flight on the first try.

I have made only a few flights in calm weather, but all I can say for now is that this controller is really good.
No more diving after steep climbs, strong and precise altitude hold, even at high climbrates (+- 15m/s). 
The UAV has clearly better flight performances with a very quick setup with the total energy control loops than with the old standard control loops with hours of tuning.

Basic setup was very easy, I haven't tuned yet the extra gains (auto throttle to airspeed, and auto pitch to airspeed).

Thanks a lot Christophe (and TU Delft).

The only "problems" I had were the following:
Error: subsystems/navigation/gls.c:107: error: 'V_CTL_AUTO_AIRSPEED_SETPOINT' undeclared (first use in this function)
=> V_CTL_AUTO_AIRSPEED_SETPOINT is unused with the total energy control loops; but is required for the landing procedures (gls.c)

The other problem is that the climb rate is not bounded during  flying (maybe I did something wrong).
In energy_ctrl.c me max climb rate is set to 2m/s (v_ctl_max_climb), but the plane was climbing at +/- 15m/s.
I put a screenshot here:

Thanks again,

2012/9/19 Christophe De Wagter <address@hidden>
1) -> Felix?
2) one for me: energy_ctrl apparently needs an upgrade for the state interface. thanks for telling me.
3) all your flightplans must be updated to the new state interface too. replace all estimator_ stuff with the new: GetPosAlt(), ground_alt and PowerVoltage(), GetPosX() etc. Or maybe start with an default flightplan.

We did all tests in the tudelft/paparazzi branch which is a v4.0 clone with several extra features like energy, rate limited flaps, dual-lisa-classix, etc... All these features are being pushed to paparazzi/master but do not necessarly work there yet. So it is probably way less work to try tudelft repo directly:

git remote add tudelft git://
git fetch tudelft
in your v4.0 based branch:
git pull tudelft tudelft4.0

This is our airframe config: search MentorEnergy to know all xml files.


Paparazzi-devel mailing list

reply via email to

[Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread]