Re: GNU Parallel on Amazon Linux

From: Ole Tange
Subject: Re: GNU Parallel on Amazon Linux
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2017 23:58:51 +0100

On Fri, Dec 15, 2017 at 3:10 PM, Osborne, Darryl <darrylo@amazon.com> wrote:

> First, thanks for developing and maintaining GNU Parallel. It’s an essential
> tool and I recommend it in just about every customer call, talk, or
> presentation I give.

Happy to hear that.

I believe I linked to one of your presentations in the release notes
for 20170122:

* AWS re:Invent 2016: Deep Dive on Amazon Elastic File System (STG202) slide 45

http://www.slideshare.net/AmazonWebServices/aws-reinvent-2016-deep-dive-on-amazon-elastic-file-system-stg202
  and https://youtu.be/PlTuJx4VnGw?t=30m16s

> Second, I don’t know if you’re aware but parallel is now included in the
> Amazon repository so AWS customers running Amazon Linux can easily install
> it with a simple “sudo yum install parallel –y” command.

I was not aware of that.

> One of my sample tutorial results sums it up well. In this example
> (attached) when I combined GNU parallel and standard Linux copy commands
> like cp and cpio, I achieved a throughput increase of 690% and transferred
> files 7.9 times faster when compared to using the copy commands alone.

Good to see. Do you know what the theoretical max is?

> Have you had a chance to play around with Amazon EFS? I’d be curious to hear
> your feedback.

I have yet to have a job where I needed EFS.