Re: GNU parallel bug

From: Ihsan Ecemis
Subject: Re: GNU parallel bug
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2018 01:57:13 -0400

Thank you very much for your quick reply!

I installed parallel on an AWS EC2 (on a quite new, Linux 2 AMI) using yum, without realizing it was such an old version!

I will install the latest version from the tar file you mentioned.

Will also drop noswap option.

Thank you very much once again

On Sep 21, 2018, at 1:48 AM, Hans Schou <chlor@schou.dk> wrote:

Hi Ihsan

> The version number: 20160222

That is quite an old version. You should upgrade to the newest version:

http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/parallel/?C=M;O=D

Remember, 'parallel' is just one Perl script, so an upgrade could be as simple as downloading the tar-ball and replace that one file on your system.

> parallel -a commands --load 200% --noswap {}

My first guess: The "noswap" makes you run out of memory

./hans