partysip-dev

Re: [Partysip-dev] Almost-infinite message loop for Invite

From: Gary Corcoran
Subject: Re: [Partysip-dev] Almost-infinite message loop for Invite
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 19:40:24 -0500

Aymeric Moizard wrote:

> I should have looked better at your log file. I'm too used
> that users always face this error and I missed yours which
> is slighlty different.
>
> Your UA register this contact address:
> Contact: LittleGuy <sip:address@hidden>;expires=36000
>
> When the INVITE is sent, the address is searched in the
> local database and this sip url is found. But this one
> was a bad one. The UA should have sent his real ip
> address in the contact header instead of the host: "gary.net"

Okay, if that's the way it has to be for now, that's fine.
And, woohoo! - it works!  Well, at least the Invite now goes
to my other phone, and the Ringing and OK get forwarded
from the proxy, so now I can start debugging.  ;-)

> The REGISTER message is thus not compliant.

Just as a point of discussion, so I can learn more about SIP:
The registration with the @gary.net in the contact *should*
be allowed, right?  Or should it be @ endpointname.gary.net ?
That is, where endpointname has it's own A record in DNS
with the unique IP address of the phone ?  Would that work
with the current partysip code?  If not:

As I started trying to figure out some of the code, it looks
to me as if part of the solution is to have the
cb_ls_sfull_search_location(), after the check
if(0 == psp_core_is_responsible_for_this_request_uri() )
switch to UAS_MODE, so the Invite gets handled locally,
instead of being passed to sfp which wants to 'forward'
it to another server (which is what it's doing by default
now).  But I don't know enough about how it all works to
offer a complete fix.  Does this make any sense, or am I
trying to jump in too soon?  :)

> I should write some code to avoid such attacks :)

;-)

Thanks,
Gary