pdf-devel

Re: [pdf-devel] Assigning a 64-bit value to pdf_i64_t

From: jemarch
Subject: Re: [pdf-devel] Assigning a 64-bit value to pdf_i64_t
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 22:13:18 +0100

Hi Aleks.

   We have a function that can be used to initialize a pdf_i64_t with a
   pdf_i32_t:

   void
   pdf_i64_assign_quick (pdf_i64_t *bignum,
                          const pdf_i32_t value,
                          pdf_status_t *p_status);

   But, what if I am in a OS with built-in 64-bit support (like I guess we
   all are) and I want to assign a 64-bit value (coming from system
   functions for example) into a pdf_i64_t?

   Well, we can also use `pdf_i64_assign_quick' for that, as in those types
   of OS that function will just be a macro, which doesn't take care of
   type sizes. Note that we can't use "=" for that, as it would break our
   built-in 64-bit support.

   But, I don't think it's clear from the API document point of view, as it
   seems that only 32-bit integers are allowed. How can we explain this in
   the document? Just with a note saying... "hey, you can also use a 64-bit
   value in this function instead of a pdf_i32_t"... or what?

I will drop notes about the existence of the macros in the reference
manual.

   And BTW, didn't we talk about adding an option to configure in order to
   force the use of our built-in 64-bit support?

I just commited a patch in the trunk adding a new configure option for
that purpose: --enable-bignum-forcing