pdf-devel

Re: [pdf-devel] pdf-filter and filter testing

From: jemarch
Subject: Re: [pdf-devel] pdf-filter and filter testing
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 21:27:21 +0100

Hello Gerel.

   It would be better to have the filters' testing done by the
   pdf-filter utility (called from say, the 'check' Makefile rule)
   than by writing the tests by hand, as we're currently doing.

I don't agree. The unit testing of the public functions should be done
in a controlled environment. pdf-filter.c introduces an additional
layer.

   First, we save time and code (you can see many lines repeated in
   pdf-stm-write/read test files),

I agree in that it is a problem. We can reduce the amount of
reiterated code by using initialization or finalization static
functions defined in the test files.

   and second we avoid the mess in those files due to string formatted
   binary data.

We are going to introduce a little library for testing providing
access to a set of files that the user can download from gnupdf.org. I
am writing it while developing the jbig2 filters (the jbig2 sample
data is quite big). It will be up in two days, aprox.