pengfork-devel

Re: [Pengfork-devel] program name & version

From: Nicolas Burrus
Subject: Re: [Pengfork-devel] program name & version
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 14:49:38 +0200

On Friday 23 August 2002 14:22, Jean-Charles Salzeber wrote:
> Some general question:
>
> What will the program name be?
> should we call it pengfork, pengaol or simply peng?

I don't know, but I think having aol in the name is a good idea.

> What versionning scheme will we take?
>
> What features will the program provide to release it as 1.0 (or maybe
> 2.0 if we keep pengaol as name)?

IMHO, versions numbers in the sheme x.x.x is the best choice, and is used by
most of gnu programs. v1.0 should be kept for a good, stable and clean
release I think, including :

- Fully functional AOL 3.0 protocol, compression, etc ...
- stable connection tested on France, Deutch and American network.
- robust modem driver, tested on a quite large variety of modems.
- tun/tap IP driver at least, maybe ppp based on ppp_async_tty as pengaol does
?
- daemon mode, controlling program like pengctl with important features.

AOL protocol 7.0 can be kept for later version I think.