Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Document storing system / ACL question

From: Jason Wies
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Document storing system / ACL question
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 22:17:42 -0500

On Fri, Dec 14, 2001 at 12:05:08AM +0000, Bob Crandell wrote:
> Is File Manager and phpWebhosting doing the same thing?

As Josh pointed out, phpwebhosting will replace filemanager in the next
release.  From what you've said about your app, there is a lot of overlap.  The
current system is tied into the ACL as well.  However, the current system
doesn't have:

* Categories
* Title
* Description (it has a short comment)

Categories, title, and description are all app-independent, and should go in
the VFS (Virtual File System).  Search could be put in the API as well, but
would have to be very flexible (able to perform all different types of
searches).

If you want your app to be extensible, it needs to use the phpGW API, which in
this case involves the VFS.  You are certainly welcome to submit patch(es) for
the VFS that add the extra functionality you need.  You might also consider
adding your changes into phpwebhosting, since the framework is already in place
and in sync with the current CVS.

The VFS is in phpgwapi/inc/class.vfs_sql.inc.php, and there are full developer
docs in phpgwapi/doc/vfs.

Jason Wies aka Zone