Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Sent Mail Folder

From: Tony (Angles) Puglisi
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Sent Mail Folder
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 00:15:00 +0000

Ryan Bonham (address@hidden) wrote*:
>I just setup Cyrus IMAP server and postfix. I have phpgroupware reading and
>sending
>mail through them. I have one question i can't seem to get phpgroupware to save
>sent messages in the sent items folder. Do i have to change some setting to get
>this to work? I appreciate any help.

One possibility, in the Cyrus docs they point out how Netscape imap client
likes to
create "sent" and "trash" folders in a place that's inappropriate for a user
logged
in as an administrator (I guess they are created as top level folders) so they
recommend not using Netscape imap client when logged in as an admin for the
Cyrus
server.

The Cyrus docs indicate that default permissions for a user is the ability to
create, delete, and append to their own private folders, example
"user.somedude" to
Cyrus appears as "INBOX" to the user, and "user.somedude.Trash" to Cyrus appears
as "INBOX.Trash" to the user and the user should have those create and append to
perms on that folder.

If your logged in as an admin, however, "user.somedude.Sent" aka "INBOX.Sent"
*may*
not be used, instead an email app (netscape in the above examle) might try to
use "user.Sent" (only an administrator user can attempt this) which is extremely
confusing to Cyrus because "Sent" is not a user.

If you are logged in as the admin, I think the email app can still handle it.

(A) If you already have an official sent items folder in a place that the Cyrus
server thinks is ok, and that works with other email apps, then get the
exact "long" name of that folder using the page /email/folders.php and then
click
on "long names". Copy to your clipboard the exact long name of your existing
Sent
items folder. Then goto email app's prefersnces page and paste that exact name
in
the "Sent messages folder" box and make sure that "Sent messages saved in "Sent"
folder" is checked.

(B) If you do not already have a Curus-friendly Sent items folder, we can create
one in a place the Cyrus thinks is OK. Use the /email/folders.php page to
create a
folder, make sure you choose "create folder expert" because then the email app
assumes you are an "expert" and makes NO attempt to check and/or add a
namespace to
your submitted folder name. I'm no Cyrus expert but I expect something like one
of
these might work:

user.mylogin.Sent
INBOX.Sent

Then copy that exact long name and paste into the preferences page as described
above.

Let me know if this works.
--
that's "angle" as in geometry