Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] PHPDocs for head

From: Chris Weiss
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] PHPDocs for head
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 13:20:54 -0500

Kia, the problem isn't that you are fixing things, the problem is that
you have stepped on toes by committing fixes to maintained projects
without asking the author.  As far as you know the author had already
fixed or even obsoleted the code.  I never saw you say "hey I'm gonna
run 'php -l' on all the code I document, anyone mind if I commit minor
syntactical sugar fixes?"

I don't know if this "rule" is written anywhere, it just seems like
the proper way to me.  The code very well need fixed, but it's not
your code and no one said "sure, commit whatever the hell you want".
To do so would also be quite bad for the project as you'd have 2
developers rolling back each others changes in a fight over the
"right" way to do something.

I agree that is a complex topic because it's not clear what apps are
being maintained or worked on at all.  We used to have a site for this
at apps.phpgroupware.org but it was never setup for self-maintenance
so it's no longer useful.  It seems like the new cvs script could be
used to help this, to keep track of the last time someone made a
commit in each module and put the list on a web page somewhere.  This
could be taking a step further where each developer could add a note
to the module, something like "I'm working on this, I expect to be
finished on x/x/xxxx".

FWIW, your CVS access was not intentionally removed, a bug report has
been filed with Savannah and Ceb has changed her password just to be
sure.

There's a serious lack of communication here, including from you Kia,
and it's what causes these sorts of problems.

As far as Skel, I doesn't matter what license it has.  What's in there
pretty much has to be in any phpgw project, you can't call it copying
code when using it is exactly the same as following the docs, assuming
we had good developer docs.   If someone actually tried to challenege
an app as a derivitive of skel in a court I think the challenge would
fail, there's nothing much there that just isn't optional and isn't
non-phpgw framework code.