playogg-discuss

[playogg-discuss] Re: playogg/faq: unclear phrase

From: Niklas Cholmkvist
Subject: [playogg-discuss] Re: playogg/faq: unclear phrase
Date: Tue, 04 May 2010 23:42:37 +0300

Hello all,

Indeed, just as you note Oleg, at
http://www.fsf.org/campaigns/playogg/faq it says:
<snip>
> controlled by companies, not by the users. The companies that control
> the software design it to restrict the users and spy on them.

They are referring partly to Microsoft Windows XP. Examples and
references are helpful always, without they seem like empty words, so
here are two references:
http://lauren.vortex.com/archive/000178.html is about an individual's
discovery of that the software 'Windows XP validation tool' sends
information to Microsoft during the boot-up procedure of Windows. Now
from my point of view how can this individual know this? Short
explanation: By using for example a widely available program called
Wireshark,with which anyone can sniff a network nowadays. Connect it to
the network and it will sniff any traffic that goes from and to computer
devices.

http://lauren.vortex.com/archive/000179.html is about how Microsoft
responds to this and says in a style 'this software communicates with us
so we can disable it if it malfunctions'. Now this is one opinion by one
person. I also want examples (and real examples that say, use that
version of that OS, check 'those' packages in Wireshark. Proved),
otherwise they will seem like empty words. Examples always help.

By the way I don't give links to things I've not personally read, so
researching this took its time.

Kind regards,

Niklas