playogg-discuss

[playogg-discuss] Re: playogg-discuss Digest, Vol 13, Issue 9

From: default
Subject: [playogg-discuss] Re: playogg-discuss Digest, Vol 13, Issue 9
Date: Sat, 08 May 2010 19:37:37 -0400

> Hi,
>
> > 1. We need at least one Ogg Vorbis Portable Audio Player
> > 1. I think we have something.
> I have that something :) and it is called Sandisk Sansa Clip 2GB. 40
> euro. It plays ogg vorbis and I charge it by connecting it through usb
> to my computer. Bought one for a friend which repeatedly told me to buy
> one, because my friend wanted one too.

Yea- sorry. I didn't mean to make a list of stuff we didn't have. I made
of list of stuff we'd need. That is one we have. On that note though we
don't have much in terms of anything that looks really cool to compete
with Apple's iPod. The Wipzy was pretty close:

http://www.turbolinux.com/products/wizpy/

It was always too expensive though and had problems of its own. The good
thing about that was it declared GNU/Linux support. The bad thing about
all these devices is they include WMV support. We shouldn't be paying
Microsoft licensing fees. We also need devices that include the words
"Linux" or "GNU/Linux" or lack of any operating systems supported on the
box.

> > 2. We need a place people can buy it
> I live in Thessaloniki, Greece. I bought it from www.e-shop.gr .
> Virtually anyone who lives in a 'big city' can order and get one.

I'm unfamiliar with non-English so I can't really see what is going on
elsewhere. At least limited in what I can see. I'm glad they have
something for Greece. For the United States we don't have anything
really. Certainly you can hunt down products that have "Linux" written
on them. That isn't the same thing though as a place you can go for
support. Nor is it the same thing as support free software or Ogg
Vorbis.

> > 4. We need a Music Store that offers it in Ogg Vorbis format
> I don't. I enjoy all the free cultural works at jamendo.com and with
> this link you can get all the free cultural works listed:
> http://www.jamendo.com/en/albums?order=ratingweek_desc&tag_idstr=&location_country=all&license_minrights_c=on&license_minrights_d=on

I'm a fan of supporting free cultural works. That isn't the objective
here though. People have different tastes in music and want different
things. If you are targeting the majority they are after bands from the
major labels. It is going to be nearly impossible to target that
population without access to those labels.

> If you want all legally downloadable works then even more will show up
> because there are countless of artists who license their music non-free
> as cc-by-nc-sa.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Niklas
> --

As I said. Yea. Just a list of things we need. I know we have some on
the list.