pspp-users

Re: multiple commands in one pass of data

From: Ben Pfaff
Subject: Re: multiple commands in one pass of data
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 11:16:58 -0700

"la" <address@hidden> writes:

> Setting maxwarns to a large number presents a different problem.  My file is
> well over 255 million records and pspp generates a error statement for each
> record/variable that contains blanks if it's defined as numeric. So the pspp
> would generate an enormous report.

Thank you for the additional information.  I've added it to the
bug report.

> I tried using SET BLANKS=0 or other data transformation to convert blanks to
> 0 within my pspp syntax file but it seems that the error is generated as
> soon as it reads the data before anything else happens.  Does this mean that
> I have to first process the file outside of pspp to convert blanks to 0?

PSPP requires fields of type "N" to be all digits, padded with
leading 0s if necessary to fill the field width.  This is because
SPSS documents this format to work that way:

    With the N format, only unsigned integers are allowed as
    input values.  Values not padded with leading zeros to the
    specified width or those containing decimal points are
    assigned the system-missing value.  This input format is
    useful for reading and checking values that should be
    integers containing leading zeros.

Does SPSS actually accept fields of type N that contain spaces
without complaining?  If so, then I will change PSPP to do the
same.
--
Peter Seebach on managing engineers:
"It's like herding cats, only most of the engineers are already