pspp-users

Re: Warning on unreleased versions.

From: Mark Hancock
Subject: Re: Warning on unreleased versions.
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2016 15:00:44 -0500

I've attached a screenshot of what I think is a much better solution (to change the website). I think this simple change would alleviate the need for any messages in the application (though still wouldn't object to "(unstable)" or "(development)" in the title bar, just not a long instructional message).

Inline image 1

This can be done by adding the following HTML:

<ul style="margin-top: 0; margin-bottom: 0">
  <li>The latest development release is: 0.9.0</li>
</ul>

You could obviously make these numbers be dynamically loaded from somewhere, if that makes updating less cumbersome.

This suggestion is assuming you have no control over the http://pspp.awardspace.com/ page. If you do, it would be much better to redesign it so that it has a salient link to the most stable recent release, and a harder-to-find-and-accidentally-download link to the dev version.

Mark

On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 2:35 PM, Friedrich Beckmann <address@hidden> wrote:

> Am 02.03.2016 um 20:26 schrieb John Darrington <address@hidden>:
>
> On Wed, Mar 02, 2016 at 07:52:34PM +0100, Friedrich Beckmann wrote:
>
> 2 Then, as a first post-release task, let's replace the existing splash screen with an startup window
>   which must be acknowledged.  Then we don't need to have any warning in the titlebar, or in the output window.

Please, do not let us sacrifice functionality for this purpose. Nobody wants to acknowledge this. Nobody. Yes, nobody.
Please remember software that does want you to acknowledge something like this. You hate it. For good reason.

Please remember the reason for the splash screen as we discussed it already: Inform the user that something
has happened when he started the software, if the startup time is long. Thats it. The logo is perfect and the warning
message does not harm this purpose.

Friedrich