qemu-arm

Re: [qemu-arm-static] [Known-issue] readdir() returns NULL (errno=EOVERF

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [qemu-arm-static] [Known-issue] readdir() returns NULL (errno=EOVERFLOW) for 32-bit user-static qemu on 64-bit host
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2022 09:48:47 +0100

On Wed, 3 Aug 2022 at 23:16, Jon Alduan <jon.alduan@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello qemu-arm community,
>
> I did not set up this email with usual format and contents, as this is a
> known issue.
> See Bug #1805913 “readdir() returns NULL (errno=EOVERFLOW) for 32-bi...” :
> Bugs : QEMU (launchpad.net)

We don't use launchpad any more; the current gitlab issue is:
https://gitlab.com/qemu-project/qemu/-/issues/263

> I have currently this issue as I am using libc2.28. If I take specially for
> that, libc2.27, as explained within the link, the issue disappears.
> However, I would like to avoid this effort because of maintenance problems.
> I was not able to find a solution to this problem and I see, it is still
> reproducible on latest QEMU versions (7.0.50).
> In the link's thread a Kernel adaptation could fix it, but I saw nothing
> valuable there.
> Do you know how to fix or at least workaround it with QEMU or with Kernel?

This cannot be fixed in QEMU -- the only way to fix it is for the
kernel to gain a new API that QEMU can use to insist that
readdir directory offsets are restricted to 32 bit values.
So far that appears to be stalled: we have failed to persuade
the kernel developers to do anything :-(

thanks
-- PMM