[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [Qemu-block] [PATCH v5 7/7] block: drop support for using qcow en
Daniel P. Berrange
Re: [Qemu-block] [PATCH v5 7/7] block: drop support for using qcow encryption with system emulators
Fri, 18 Mar 2016 12:18:12 +0000
On Fri, Mar 18, 2016 at 01:11:27PM +0100, Kevin Wolf wrote:
> Am 17.03.2016 um 18:51 hat Daniel P. Berrange geschrieben:
> > For a couple of releases we have been warning
> > Encrypted images are deprecated
> > Support for them will be removed in a future release.
> > You can use 'qemu-img convert' to convert your image to an unencrypted
> > one.
> > This warning was issued by system emulators, qemu-img, qemu-nbd
> > and qemu-io. Such a broad warning was issued because the original
> > intention was to rip out all the code for dealing with encryption
> > inside the QEMU block layer APIs.
> > The new block encryption framework used for the LUKS driver does
> > not rely on the unloved block layer API for encryption keys,
> > instead using the QOM 'secret' object type. It is thus no longer
> > appropriate to warn about encryption unconditionally.
> > When the qcow/qcow2 drivers are converted to use the new encryption
> > framework too, it will be practical to keep AES-CBC support present
> > for use in qemu-img, qemu-io & qemu-nbd to allow for interoperability
> > with older QEMU versions and liberation of data from existing encrypted
> > qcow2 files.
> > Thus this change, removes the deprecation warning, in its place adding
> > a fatal error preventing use of qcow built-in encryption inside the
> > system emulators. Use of qcow encryption in qemu-img, qemu-io, qemu-nbd
> > no longer triggers any warning message, since that support is now expected
> > to remain available long term, given the maint burden has been eliminated.
> > Signed-off-by: Daniel P. Berrange <address@hidden>
> Let's do this only after the qcow2 LUKS support has been merged so that
> users have an alternative to switch to.
Ok, I'll need to respin this to just move the deprecation warning
|: http://berrange.com -o- http://www.flickr.com/photos/dberrange/ :|
|: http://libvirt.org -o- http://virt-manager.org :|
|: http://autobuild.org -o- http://search.cpan.org/~danberr/ :|
|: http://entangle-photo.org -o- http://live.gnome.org/gtk-vnc :|
- [Qemu-block] [PATCH v5 0/7] Add new LUKS block driver (for 2.6), Daniel P. Berrange, 2016/03/17
- [Qemu-block] [PATCH v5 2/7] qemu-img/qemu-io: don't prompt for passwords if not required, Daniel P. Berrange, 2016/03/17
- [Qemu-block] [PATCH v5 4/7] tests: refactor python I/O tests helper main method, Daniel P. Berrange, 2016/03/17
- [Qemu-block] [PATCH v5 3/7] tests: redirect stderr to stdout for iotests, Daniel P. Berrange, 2016/03/17
- [Qemu-block] [PATCH v5 1/7] block: add flag to indicate that no I/O will be performed, Daniel P. Berrange, 2016/03/17
- [Qemu-block] [PATCH v5 5/7] tests: add output filter to python I/O tests helper, Daniel P. Berrange, 2016/03/17
- [Qemu-block] [PATCH v5 7/7] block: drop support for using qcow encryption with system emulators, Daniel P. Berrange, 2016/03/17
- [Qemu-block] [PATCH v5 6/7] block: add generic full disk encryption driver, Daniel P. Berrange, 2016/03/17