qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Question about tun/tap networking

From: Jim C. Brown
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Question about tun/tap networking
Date: Sun, 2 May 2004 23:09:41 -0400

I recommend using vde by Renzo Davoli instead of the default tuntap.
I am able to network 2 instances of windows 98 (in separate qemu's) and
minix 2.0.4 (in a hand-modified bochs). It worked without a hitch, and all
the machines are on the same subnet.

You still need forwarding to let the virtual machines see the lan or the
internet, however. The plus with vde is that you don't need to set up routing
for all these different tunN devices. (I use the Shorewall firewall, and using
tun was a pain...vde means I just have to set up routing and masquerading
for tap0, instead of for tun0, tun1, tun2, ...)

Available here btw: http://sourceforge.net/projects/vde/