qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Plex86 and Qemu

From: Jim C. Brown
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Plex86 and Qemu
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 13:27:34 -0500

On Sun, Feb 13, 2005 at 11:40:21AM -0600, address@hidden wrote:
> From: "Jim C. Brown" <address@hidden>
>
> >To end this debate once and for all, I'd like to announce that I've begun
> >work
> >on getting qemu to use the plex86 kernel module. (Lucky for me I use a 2.4
> >kernel.) Anyone who is mad that kqemu is closed source, feel free to email me
> >privately and help me make the necessary changes.
>
> Question...
>
> Which version of Plex86 are you talking about?  The original one now at
> Savannah, or the Plex86 v2 at SourceForge?

v2

> The reason I'm asking is that I use Windows, not Linux.

I can tell by the length of lines in your email. ;)

> And I'm usually wanting to run OS's other than Linux.  (Dos, Win98, WinXP.)
> (And I usually get the semi-daily build off FreeOSZoo, since it's easier to
> do that than to build it myself.)
>
> Therefor Fabrice's new module is useless to me.  Nice idea etc., but utterly
> useless to me.

Mine will be too, unless someone ports plex86 to Windows.

> Plex86 v2 is also Linux only, and requires patched guest kernels.

My idea is to use the module in cosimulation. This would not require a patch
guest kernel and would allow for any guest OS to be used, not just linux.

> I think the original version was for any OS, wasn't it?  But it was never
> stable, was it?  Hence the reason it was abandoned.
>
> And others, such as CoLinux, are also linux only.  (And require patched
> kernal or host.)

I use v2 because the original version is not stable enough, and in fact has
extra code that I don't need (to handle virtalization of ring 0, hardware
emulation, and so on).

v2 also has extra code that isn't needed (I/O space, HAL, and so on), so someone
else is writing a replacement kqemu module from scratch.

> Anyway, the point I'm making (and asking about) is that the majority of
> potential users are either going to run Windows as the guest, or as the
> host..  (And possibly both.)

Mine will support using Windows as guest, but not as host.

> So for the majority of people, for the majority of cases, it seems like most
> of these 'fast emulator' projects are useless...  Nice idea and such, but not
> really helpful.
>
> So... is your idea going to be helpful to the majority of potential users?

Yes. It will let linux2.4 users run Windows and Windows apps.