qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] FreeOSZoo will stop March 1, 2005

From: Jim C. Brown
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] FreeOSZoo will stop March 1, 2005
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 12:01:36 -0500

On Sun, Feb 13, 2005 at 12:28:03PM +0100, Daniel Egger wrote:
> On 13.02.2005, at 01:06, Jernej Simon??i?? wrote:
>
> >>If you only intend to run Linux VMs and don't have a problem
> >>patching the kernel sources this is a very viable approach to
> >>get something which is not possible anymore *without* kqemu
> >>which is more flexible but does only run on 32bit kernels ATM.
> >
> >You don't understand - I was asking what are you loosing with "new"
> >Qemu
> >without the kernel module compared to Qemu before the kernel module was
> >introduced. I know that with the kernel module Qemu runs much faster,
> >but if
> >you don't want to use it due to it's licence, you haven't lost anything
> >compared to before the module was available. Or have you?
>
> Please do read the mails before responding.
>
> qemu-fast is the key point which you're obviously missing.
>
> Servus,
>       Daniel

I read the email ... I got the impression that qemu-fast wasn't good enough
either and thus there was no alternative to kqemu.

To end this debate once and for all, I'd like to announce that I've begun work
on getting qemu to use the plex86 kernel module. (Lucky for me I use a 2.4
kernel.) Anyone who is mad that kqemu is closed source, feel free to email me
privately and help me make the necessary changes.