qemu-devel

Re: wxWidgets and C: was Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU GUI

From: Oliver Gerlich
Subject: Re: wxWidgets and C: was Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU GUI
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 16:52:54 +0200

Linas Žvirblis wrote:
Jason Gress wrote:

I know this is a lot different than the discussion so far, but has anyone considered keeping SDL and using an SDL GUI similar to ZSNES?

I did not check the source code, but it looks just like any other
self-made bitmap-based SDL menu I have seen. It is like inventing yet
another GUI toolkit.

I am new around here, so I am a bit confused. What is this GUI all
about? Is it about (a) replacing SDL with something else for drawing the
contents of the window, or (b) providing GUI for configuring virtual
machine options, just like numerous front-ends already do?

I assume this is (a), as it is beyond me why would anyone want to do
(b), when there already are front-ends for Windows, KDE, GTK+, Java,
MacOS, etc.

Personally, I'd be interested to have a GUI for controlling a running Qemu instance: change CD-ROM, add/remove USB devices, save/restore VM snapshots (though this would also require to save/restore disk snapshots), and eg. provide buttons to switch between guest Virtual Terminals. Furthermore, I'd like to get information like guest CPU usage and guest hard disk access; this would probably require that the GUI is integrated into Qemu. Whether actual graphics output is done via SDL or GTK or something else is probably not that important.

Configuration could still be done with the current command line flags, but if one of the many config GUIs could be integrated into Qemu, that might be useful as well.

Regards,
Oliver