qemu-devel

Re: Git/SVN/CVS? was Re: [Qemu-devel] What does code_copy_enabled do?

From: Johannes Schindelin
Subject: Re: Git/SVN/CVS? was Re: [Qemu-devel] What does code_copy_enabled do?
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2008 14:22:06 +0000 (GMT)

Hi,

On Sat, 9 Feb 2008, Blue Swirl wrote:

> On 2/9/08, Johannes Schindelin <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > And I'm not a fan of _forcing_ people to switch to another SCM.  You
> > can use git (and even cvsimport yourself, should the public git
> > mirrors lag), and even svn, as pbrook showed, even if the official
> > upstream stays CVS.
>
> I'm not suggesting a forced switch either, that's why I was asking if
> it's possible to have R/W access enabled for several SCMs at once.

That's tricky.  You can mirror, of course, but that is prone to
desynchronisation.  But as I said, git has a cvs emulator.

> I'm also still learning git, can I completely replace CVS access by
> using cvsimport and cvsexportcommit locally?

I do that in two projects, so yes, you can do that.  cvsexportcommit is a
little tricky, especially when you do not want to have an extra working
directory for CVS.

So this is what I do regularly:

$ git --git-dir=$(pwd)/.git cvsexportcommit -c -p -u master^ master

The "-c" means to really commit when the patch applies, "-p" means to
check anally that the patch applies, the "-u" means that it tries to
cvs update the files to the correct version first.

I need to checkout the "origin" branch for that to work, though (I've
been meaning to work on cvsexportcommit, but time is really scarce).

Ciao,
Dscho