qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] KVM call agenda for Novemeber 22

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] KVM call agenda for Novemeber 22
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2011 14:43:45 -0600

On 11/21/2011 10:00 AM, Juan Quintela wrote:

Hi

Please send in any agenda items you are interested in covering.

I'm technical on holiday this week so I won't be attending.

But as an FYI, I ran across seccomp-nurse[1] this weekend. It more or less let's you write a python program to implement a userspace syscall whitelist.

I haven't looked at the code close enough yet, but I think the technique it uses is to create a companion thread along side the sandbox thread. This thread only runs code in an area mapped read-only and presumably only uses thread local storage.

The companion thread isn't running in the sandbox, but has the same resources as the sandbox thread so it can essentially invoke syscalls on behalf of the sandbox thread.

It's seriously non-portable. In fact, it only works on 32-bit x86 Linux right now. But it's worth looking into.

[1] http://chdir.org/~nico/seccomp-nurse/

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

Later, Juan.