qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Support for Nested Paging

From: Stefan Hajnoczi
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Support for Nested Paging
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 08:30:00 +0000

On Sat, Mar 10, 2012 at 04:44:27PM -0500, Ankur Agrawal wrote:
> I am a graduate student at Stony Brook University and am working on design
> and implementation of hypervisors for OSCAR lab (
> http://oscar.cs.stonybrook.edu/). Currently I am working on implementing
> emulation of Nested Page Tables in QEMU as present in AMD-V architectures.
>
> I would like to know if the QEMU team will be interested in having a patch
> which emulates the Nested Page Table and other hardware virtualization
> techniques supported by AMD-V or Intel-VT atchitectures.
>
> I would  love to help in maintenance of my patch or any other issues in the
> QEMU in future as well.
>
> I would also like to know if there is any chance that this can become a
> part of Google Summer of Code 2012.

Yes, you can propose your own project idea.  The key thing is to find a
mentor who is willing to work with you.  You can do that on this mailing
list and #qemu IRC.

I don't know the state of i386 TCG but I suggest checking if there are
prerequisites for vmx/svm that are missing from QEMU.  You may find the
i386 TCG needs some improvements before it becomes possible to work on
vmx/svm itself.  I don't know the answer but you'll need to check this
to see if your project idea is viable.

Stefan