qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] The state of testing

From: Amit Shah
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] The state of testing
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 14:22:36 +0530

On (Tue) 05 Mar 2013 [12:54:06], Lucas Meneghel Rodrigues wrote:
> On 03/05/2013 07:11 AM, Amit Shah wrote:
> >On (Mon) 04 Mar 2013 [16:53:55], Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:

> >>How are things looking with device emulation, migration, monitor, char, etc?
> >
> >I have a few tests coded up for virtio-serial at
> >
> >http://fedorapeople.org/cgit/amitshah/public_git/test-virtserial.git/
> >
> >which indirectly test chardevs.
> >
> >Autotest (virt-tests) also has virtio-serial tests which end up
> >testing chardevs.
>
> >chardevs, being an external interface to qemu, do get tested whenever
> >anyone starts qemu with e.g. libvirt.
> >
> >Also, autotest has libvirt-based tests, which exercise the monitor.
> >However, I don't think there's anything comprehensive anywhere.
>
> The virtio console tests span over 130 tests, and take ~4 hours to
> run, I'd consider they are comprehensive.

It's a commendable job the folks who've put together the tests have
done.

However, it's still not comprehensive for the chardevs themselves.
For example, guest freezes for lack of flow control would've been
flagged by autotest otherwise.  Though I'm happy to now note that will
no longer be an issue on qemu.git, and we must now add tests for
checking flow control.

                Amit